Sunday, October 26, 2008

Kashyap VS Malani- Anuragpatti VS Poda Patti

I read Anurag Kashyap's blog on passionforcinema.com after a very very long time. It was on Hulla directed by Anurag's friend Jaideep Verma so going by his past blogs I was pretty sure Anurag would rave about this one considering the fact that it flopped. Before reading further I was certain that he would immeditaly talk of how immature the Indian audience was for not liking and ignoring the film and Sushant Singh. And that is exactly what happened...

Here's the link
http://passionforcinema.com/hulla-bol/

Now I'm no one to pass judgement over the film mainly because I havent seen it. But I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be spending money watching this one considering the promos were pretty lame. Had it received good word of mouth publicity I wouldn't mind catching it. It received negative reviews... Now I know (this is where I agree with Anurag) that most of India's top critics are lame but over the years I have learnt how to read between the lines and figure these reviews out. And the end result was that I still didnt want to watch this movie.

However, as curiosity got the better of me I decided to pass the link to my friend Gaurav Malani (who is also a critic for Indiatimes). His reply was pretty interesting...
The following is a reply to my e-mail sent by Gaurav...

"What I can conclude from this is that Anurag is not only an influential speaker but also an influential writer (no screenwriter - but blogger)... the way in which he expresses his throughts make you question your viewpoints to an extent...

But I strongly affirm to the fact that Hulla was not a good film... as Anurag says 'we get so impassioned that we abuse teh film even disregarding it and we start discussing how the filmmaker should have done it'... why people started discussing because they felt that Hulla had a very interesting start but the way in which it culminated was stupid... stupid to the core... open ending and all that crap is not an excuse... there are very very few films that are impressive despite an open ending... I personally am against open endings.... it completely kills the purpose of making a film... if the audience had to interpret, why see your film for 2-3 hours then...

Back to Hulla, the believable characters and story is all fine... but there were may more flaws in the films over the side performances and casting (the only weak link that Anurag discusses)... if you have seen the film u will understand that there are so many unsolved subplots, repetitive jokes and redundant dream sequences... and the end is not open... its unintelligent, unconnected to the entire film and bad (yawn)!
Independent cinema doesn't give you the right or excuse to serve any crap to the audience in the name of something different... one can be entertaining, intelligent and yet different... that's where Kashyap's Black Friday differs from his No Smoking

And his complaint on Big Films being a bad producer, et al is crap.... he said the same thing for Eros after No Smoking saying that the film didn't work because the distributors pulled out the film from theatres instead of waiting for it to pick up by the word of mouth.... he was just trying to blame his incompetence on the distributors... As for Adlabs they at least got out his film Black Friday to theatres which nobody was willing to touch...

Its just a case of sour grapes with Anurag Kashyap... he just goes on bitching any film, person or company that does not understand (forget respecting) his work..."

What Gaurav wrote is pretty interesting... Actually reading that has given me incentive to watch the movie now. I'm waiting for the DVD... I'm surprised it hasn't come out yet.

Time for dinner. Right now... Balika Vadu seems more interesting...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

loved my pic in this story filfu. skimmed thru the blog but ddint see my name so ddint read it completely..lol
mwahs